I’ve been reading a book by Mike George called “Free Yourself by Being Yourself” and am savoring “aha’s” about how to move into the real self and out ego. He talks about truth as the experience of the real self rather than a theory, religion or philosophy. But most importantly, he shares how to observe the ego in order to loosen its grip.
I’ve been thinking less, talking less and thinking more without words or bodily images and scenes of the world.
Yes, I’m out there… but it’s a peaceful place to be when it works. This art journal page was inspired by the read. It would take pages to give you the update but below are some of the big differences between the real self and the Ego that he covers…it’s worth a read…very freeing emotionally
The True Self
1) Pure vibration…just a radiant feeling of peace, well-being, joy… naturally generous
2) It has no identity and seeks no identity. It exists beyond stories and roles as the trees, lakes, mountains, etc
3) When one is in the real self, the soul wants nothing else but to be in that vibration. It is the feeling of fullness.
4) The real self passes through the scenes of life and the “dramas” but is undefined by them and even at the highest stage, unaltered emotionally…eternally in truth as the scenes of life whirl about.
The big Ole Ego.
He talks about how he feels it’s the main cause of suffering in the world and chalks it up to mistaken identity, a forgetfulness of our real and true nature
1) Ego always has an image of itself, an identity it seeks to preserve in order to feel valuable
2) Ego always wants something more because the experience of the true self is missing. No matter what one has physically or even in terms of achievement, there will be a empty spot that only the real self can fill.
3) The ego entangles itself in the stories and dramas and feels defined, uplifted and taken down by those dramas. It has forgotten there is a backstage of life where one can exist beyond the stories and scenes.
Anyhow, I’m enjoying moving through the world with a cleaner mind…and a few new practices. We got the book early because he’s coming for a visit to our meditation center. It should be out on amazon soon. Hope your week is a lovely one…